Picture of the Canoa Ranch in Tucson Picture of the Canoa Ranch in Tucson, Arizona Picture of the Canoa Ranch, horses, friends of canoa Picture of the Canoa Ranch in Tucson, Arizona Picture of the Canoa Ranch in Arizona Picture of the Canoa Ranch near Phoenix Picture of the Canoa Ranch
Masterplan PDF Print E-mail

The Masterplan for Canoa Ranch is available as a PDF-File.

 

Donwload Masterplan

 
Friends of Canoa Inc. PDF Print E-mail

Friends of Canoa Heritage Foundation, Inc. was established to apply for funds not otherwise available to the county to assist with the ranch restoration. ‚ÄúFriends‚ÄĚ is a 501c3 tax deductible organization. Your contribution to these efforts is much appreciated.

Friends of Canoa Ranch Heritage Foundation, Inc. Ralph Ellinwood, President  
117 W. Washington Street
Tucson, AZ 85701
520- 882-2100 
www.friendsofcanoa.org

 

 
The Pond at the Historic Canoa Ranch PDF Print E-mail

As mentioned in the grant application, the restoration of the Pond at Canoa Ranch is part of the work outlined in The Canoa Ranch Master Plan, drafted by Poster Frost Mirto in 2007, which was approved by the Pima County Board of Supervisors following an extensive public process. The now empty Pond would be restored as part of the historic core of Canoa Ranch, in fulfillment of the goals for the Master Plan.


 
Canoa Ranch PDF Print E-mail

Canoa Ranch has been home to many cultures and to wildlife over thousands of years because of the reliable permanent water found there. La Canoa gets its name from a hollowed out cottonwood log that resembled a canoe and was used as a watering trough.

It is one of the oldest historic ranches in the Santa Cruz River valley having been established  in 1820  as a Spanish land  grant, San Ignacio de la Canoa, by the Ortiz brothers, Tomas and Ignacio. When Mexico gained her independence in 1821 their grant was recognized by the new Republic of Mexico. Prior to that in1775 the Anza expedition made their first overnight camp here on their way to establish the city of San Francisco. After going through several owners it was purchased in 1912 by Levi Manning and developed into one of the largest working cattle ranches in all of Arizona and known world-wide for its fine breed of cattle. In its hey-day it was the social and economic hub of the middle Santa Cruz valley.

In 2001 Pima County purchased the ranch which covers over 6,000 acres with voter approved bonds and has been restoring the ranch to its former beauty.

Friends of Canoa Heritage Foundation, Inc. was established to apply for funds not otherwise available to the county to assist with the ranch restoration. ‚ÄúFriends‚ÄĚ is a 501c3 tax deductible¬† organization. Your contribution to these efforts is much appreciated

 
Welcome to the Friends of Canoa Blog PDF Print E-mail

Our blog is meant to keep our friends and supporters informed about Canoa Ranch and its ongoing renovation. We thank you for taking an interest in Arizona history.

 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

Page 1 of 2